STICKY: Getting the game Downloaded!

Need help? Here's the place

By on February 21, 2006 5:20:29 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Frogboy

Join Date 03/2001
+1077

Hopefully things will go smoothly for you to get the game.  But if not, here's a guide to help you..

First Steps..
When you purchase the game you will receive a link to Stardock Central. Download that.

Make sure you are running 2.29 or later (if you've been running Stardock Central for awhile, double check in the about box that you're not using an old version like 2.24).

Downloading
If you're downloading the game and it's slow, you can try a different server.  From Stardock Central go to tools->Settings and the server is in the "Internet" area.  We have several different servers.

Account Problems
If you used a different email address to purchase the game direct than what you used to create an account here, Stardock Central may get confused. If that happens, email support@stardock.com with the subject "GalCiv Account Issue" and they'll take care of you.  If you receive no response within 1 hour, post here and someone from Stardock will likely see it and take care of you here.

Download Speeds
The core game download speed will be slower than the multimedia/movies/tutorials because those are mirrored.  The core game is regularly updated so we aren't able to mirror it as much.  You should still get pretty decent speeds (and a reminder: try a different server if you find downloading too slow or if you get a time out -- bear in mind, there's a LOT of people downloading the game).

If you have problems related to actually obtaining/installing the game, post them HERE in this thread.

NOTE: Some anti-virus software will cause the installer not to work (i.e. it'll block Stardock Central from extracting/installing the game). If you run into an installation problem, try disabling some of your anti-virus setup temporarily to see if that resolves it.

340 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
April 17, 2008 10:05:14 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
Just to clarify, it seems the problem stems from the fact that my Paypal is setup with an email diffferent from the one I used to register my Stardock account with.

If you're still using your Stardock account then yeah, support probably merged them.
April 18, 2008 4:21:02 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums
ElvisBacon - On the 14th I found the problem with your account right after I sent my first reply. You should have gotten both emails in short order. There was also a third responce sent to the second letter that was sent in.

In the end your accounts had to be merged so that the installer could see all the registrations at once. I merged the purchasing email into the account email to do that. Please check your spam filter and be sure to list stardock addresses as the exception to avoid the trouble in the future.

As a note for other responces... If you have an account with us under one email and you use the quick purchase option of Paypal, then Paypal will set up the purchase under your Paypal email and not your Stardock one. You can avoid this by not using the quick pay feature, or you can just write into support to merge them for you. We are currently working on a option to correct this issue.
April 19, 2008 10:47:06 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums
Thanks for getting back Seabass, much appreciated.

However, I haven't received any emails since April 12th (nothing in Junk Mail either)!??!

Anyway, it's all setup and I'm currently enjoying the game - waiting for the official TA release before I start doing any serious modding!
May 12, 2008 8:54:54 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums
Sunday afternoon I had a long dull evening ahead of me so I went ahead and paid for the digital download and CD of TotA. I used my personal email to handle the transaction, since the web page very specifically said that I could, and that this transaction and my Stardock account/pw were completely different things. I paid - the process was very good at taking the money - but when it came time to download, I clicked the link, which turned out to be a link to download - Stardock again! Which also required restarting my system. When I got back to Stardock to download TotA, I was kindly offered the chance to purchase it again. I put in a trouble ticket. Put in another trouble ticket this morning before I went to work, secure in the knowledge that although I was dorked around last night, tonight I'd be able to fix the problem. Well, no. But I did find this sticky, so here goes nothing. Two nights wasted trying to download a file so far - kind of defeats the whole purpose of the digital download, no? But maybe you can help salvage things...
May 12, 2008 9:28:55 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
hi
i have the account issued problem.

i used a different email when activating dread lords...back then i was still using the old email.

just bought twilight.....but i get the validating galactic civilizations error.

need help fast...tnkx
May 12, 2008 9:37:31 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
Contact support@stardock.com and request they merge your accounts onto the one you bought TA with.
May 12, 2008 10:59:01 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums
Is that the only fix? Problem is, my real name is in the email I do actual money transactions with - I'm not thrilled with the idea of that being plastered on public forums like this.
May 12, 2008 11:20:58 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums
No no do NOT post personal or even simple account information in the forums. Kyro was suggesting you send the information to support@stardock.com so we can merge them for you. He was not suggesting you post them here. If you like you can also PM me the account information and I will take it from there. Please let me know if you have further questions.
May 12, 2008 11:50:23 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums
No, I understood that - I was concerned that instead of J_X_M, my posting name here would be changed to reflect personal info from the other account. I've already emailed support - thanks.
May 13, 2008 8:26:21 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums
I submitted a ticket on Sunday night; I submitted another Monday morning. I've emailed support. I've added comments to both tickets. To date, there has been ZERO indication on either ticket that a human has even seen them. Third evening since I paid for the download and the tickets just sit there.
May 13, 2008 9:34:59 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
Did you get an autoresponse? Normal turnaround is two business days or less.
May 13, 2008 9:46:04 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums
Yes, I did get the autoresponse - that's where I got the link to the ticket and the password to open it. Other than that, nada. I even posted the fix you suggested here to the ticket. Nothing.
And while I may be in a churlish frame of mind, two business days is what Stardock has given itself - I personally don't think that taking two business days to acknowledge that a customer hasn't received what he paid for is remotely satisfactory. Imagine paying for a tool at Sears, stepping away from the counter, finding the box is empty - and being told to leave a note at customer service and somebody might call in a couple of days.
May 13, 2008 9:52:44 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
And while I may be in a churlish frame of mind, two business days is what Stardock has given itself - I personally don't think that taking two business days to acknowledge that a customer hasn't received what he paid for is remotely satisfactory.

Would that tickets could be prioritized, but they can't. Seabass did offer to take your info via PM above though (he's one of the support guys), in which case he could merge it as soon as he next visited the forums and saw the message.
May 13, 2008 10:33:31 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums
If you sent in replies to the ticket each responce resets the ticket time. It would keep going to the back of the line. If you like you can just post the ticket number and I will handle it through our system right away. That would likely be best case so that you don't get dual responces. I look forward to helping you.
May 13, 2008 11:20:07 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums
Ok, let's give it a shot: EHX-978632
thanks.
DISREGARD: Ticket still unlooked at Wed; managed to hunt down a phone number at Stardock. Fixed problem in less than 10 minutes. Left rep with same 2 suggestions I'll leave here:

1) Don't put a message on the purchase page specifically telling customers that their sales account has nothing to do with, and can be separate from, their Stardock account if in fact you know that this will cause problems. At a minimum, post a warning to the effect 'if you choose to use a different email from your Stardock account, you will need to do the following...'

2) Fix your trouble ticket system. Moving a ticket to the back of the queue every time a comment is added is moronic and calculated to infuriate. Think about it from a customer's perspective: if you're seeing no sign of action, what do you do? You contact Stardock - in the only way that Stardock has made available (since, of course, you try not to let your phone number get into the hands of your customers). If you guys are antisocial and see customers as irritants, then by all means improve your barriers - but if you actually care about customer satisfaction, and are hoping for repeat business, this one seems to be a no-brainer: don't sabotage the customer's line of communication with you.

May 14, 2008 3:18:25 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
Hello, I don't see Twilight of the Arnor appearing anywhere to download. I just bought Twilight yesterday (used Visa to buy)to download, I installed Stardock Central yesterday, I've used the same email for everything, making sure it was entered correctly. i recieved the confirmation email that it was bought including the serial #. Stardock successfully emails me the serial for it when i do the forgot serial. I don't see it in My Games however I was able to register it. This is extremely frustrating and too long drawn out to just download something I already paid for. Not trying to blame anyone just need some help. Thanks
May 14, 2008 3:50:52 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
Have you clicked the + by GalCiv2 in SDC to expand it and reveal the modules (of which TA is one)?
May 14, 2008 4:59:15 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
yes, its not there
May 14, 2008 5:07:00 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
Okay, support got back to me and they think TA is not showing up because I don't have DA registered, i'll see if that does the trick. thanks
May 14, 2008 5:10:14 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums
That would be a problem. When Stardock Central or Impulse looks at your account each game needs the game preceding it to be registered. So for Dark Avatar to download and install Impulse or SDC needs to see that Gal Civ 2 is on that account as well. Twilight follows in that logic and order as well. Let us know if you still have further troubles after that.
May 15, 2008 12:05:22 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Ticket ID: ZEL-584202

Hey I just bought the game earlier today and emailed the support but recieved no answer. I have the similar problem as the member above me, however when i try to fix the problem by registering my galactic civ gold edition, it just says " the serial key is invalid." so i am unable to register any of my games even though on my account in stardock central it shows i have galactic civilizations 2, but i dont have dark avatar. I know this is a very confusing problem can anyone please help me. I would appreciate it very much i love the game and just want to play what i bought.
May 15, 2008 9:20:24 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums
Spartan53 - please allow up to 24 - 48 hours of responce time for your tickets. According to the log you sent in the ticket at 11pm EST. Support is not a 24hr service so no one was available to take your ticket.

I have responded to your ticket this morning. Please let me know if the suggestion works for you.
May 16, 2008 11:50:55 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums
Hi,
I bought Dark Avatar the other day and received the email with the serial code and a link to download Stardock Center. After I installed Stardock Center, I registered the code; which was valid, but couldn't find anywhere to download the game. It is not under the My Games tab or anywhere else. I could really use some help.
May 17, 2008 1:03:03 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
Do you also have the base game already registered on the same account? As DA is a module of GalCiv2, the latter is required or DA won't even be available.
May 17, 2008 12:11:53 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums
I figured it out finally, thank you
Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000828   Page Render Time: