My story of installing GalCiv2 probably fits here the best.
1. With Stardock Central I downloaded GC2 with multimedia, movies and music by a comp on a very fast internet connection. No problems there.
2. Then I packed the app with Stardock Central. No problems again.
3. Put those 1.1GB of data on DVD and brought home. Installed a fresh copy of SDC on a computer, and ordered SDC to unarchieve application. Still no problems here, everything unpacked OK, BUT
the SDC didn't know I have multimedia, tutorials and movies already unpacked on the disk, and offered just to install them by downloading.
4. Updated GC2 next. SDC downloaded appropriate files, updated GC2 and DELETED ALL ADDITIONAL FILES (multimedia, tutorials and movies ) FROM MY DISK
. Repeating steps 3 and 4 just repeated that behaviour. GC2 runs, but without sound, movies...
5. Tried uninstalling SDC, game, both, repeating installation in any combo. Result the same: game without sound. At abour 21 GMT I noticed SDC got an update for itself. OK, maybe that will correct my problem. Restarted SDC.
6. Unable to extract any
archive with the updated version: SDCZIP.DLL not found. Uninstalled everything. Installed SDC again. After it updated itself, got the same error.
7. Uninstalled SDC again, installed it from downloaded archive, and before it updated itseld, UNPLUGGED comp from the network. When SDC was up, I changed it's setting to not automatically update itself.
8. With the old one SDC unpacked GC2 archive into Galciv2 folder. Then COPIED complete folder into a new one GC_2. Updated game (multimedia gone again). Copied all the files and folders from the updated folder into GC_2 folder, replacing all files in all folders.
9. Ran the game from GC_2 folder. Runs with sound and everything else. Created new game, checked buttons, moved exploration ship to an anomaly, watched the animation, checked the clock (01:00 - about four hours of work to make game run), turned off the comp, went to sleep.